Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Morning Breakfast Casserole



Hey guys!!
I know look at me being all motivated and writing a double post again! Maybe this will be a tradition now? who knows ;)

So life in my house is crazy and normally we are lucky to be able to just grab something to go, if we eat at all. Yeah not so good. Because normally that yield starving moments, the crazy hungry monster and then panic at trying to find something anything that is at least not going to kill you and if your lucky is somewhat paleo friendly. So that means when I can I try to cook easy to grab food ahead of time. It makes it easy to deal out the morning of or night before and run out the door. So this past weekend, I found this great recipe from Spicey Paleo and just had to try it!!! But its me and I like extra flavor and veggies, so I did a few modification. It is a great way to have a full breakfast ready without the cooking and I am always short on time so Crockpots are my friend. 
Note:
I use a quart and a half crockpot to make smaller portions, but you can double everything if you want a larger portion.


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 lb sweet sausage innards and 1/4 lb hot sausage innards (you can by the one with the casings just make sure to remove them be cooking) 
  • 1/2 purple onion diced
  • 3 mushrooms diced
  • 1/2 green pepper diced
  • 6 eggs
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 cup precooked frozen mashed pumpkin/ or canned pumpkin
  • 1 1/2 handfuls of Diaya pepperjack cheese (optional it does have pea protein so depending on your view on paleo may not be acceptable)
  • oil for greasing the crockpot (optional)
Directions:
  1. In a skillet, start to cook the sausage.  Meanwhile, dice the onion, mushroom and pepper.
  2. Once the sausage begins to brown, add the veggies, cooking just until the onion is soft (it doesn't have to finish cooking as you will be finishing it in the crock pot)
  3. Mix the eggs, milk and a T of your cheese and set it aside.
  4. Thaw out your pumpkin unless you are using canned
  5. Layer your pumpkin, sausage/veggie mixture, and top off with the  egg mixture.  Stir making sure the egg has spread throughout the other layers.
  6. Top with remaining cheese
  7. Turn crock pot on low for 8-10 hours 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment