Friday, April 4, 2014

Spring is almost here!! You know what that means... Gardens!!!

So as I've had a bit of down time today I figured I write a baby blog entry. I know, I know I said I wouldn't be writing but it is gorgeous outside so I figured why not??
The next question you maybe asking yourself then is "well what has inspired you so?" and the answer my friends is SPRING!!!!
Yes, that season we thought might never come back here in cold New England is popping it's head up and giving us a shy wave. I make it a habit to walk my dog around 6am (as I have found my body functions best with a 5:30am -8:30pm schedule) and I have been delighted to be greeted by the chirping of birds and the budding of my crocuses and daffodils.
Ahhh yes finally the birds, flowers, temperature above 30 degrees means one thing!!!
It's time to get back to the garden!!!!
Yep, I love my garden it starts so empty every year and I spend a few hours pulling out dead plants and turning dirty to get a nice blank canvas:
And then the magic begins to happen :) The babies begin to grow! Yep if you have a garden you know what I  mean: these little plants who feed you become your children. I may take that a step too far sometimes and sing and play music for them while I am weeding, but hey if I like music why wouldn't they. Plus they did do a study that plans respond positively to classical music, so I figure my new age music will be a favorite of theirs. 
Now I'm not going to lie and say I am out there every week tending and watering my garden. I have a community plot so have to drive out to it, so life gets  in the way. But for me just having that garden there can be the escape from the crazy around me I need. 

Seeing sites like butterflies, birds flowers swaying gently in the breeze are some of the most relaxing things that are FREE!! Yep I'm a poor muscian and am always trying to find ways to not to make my already small bank account any smaller. And hey 20 min out in a garden is free and just as stress re-leaving as going to the gym or yoga studio for me, so hey why not save the few bucks, get some food for the week and take a few deep breaths. 
Now for those of you who are like "hey but I don't have a garden and don't even know where to start", I feel you. I was there and still get overwhelmed sometimes and I've been gardening for a few years now. Start small. You can plant some herbs and go outside and take walks or see if you can find any open Community Gardens: in Boston many of the towns have them you just have to look.
They the next step is what do I plant and when?
I have a small medium raised plot and can normally get a full spring to fall rotation of different veggies and herbs going. I have a few basic regulars such as lettuce, tomatoes, spinach and herbs such as basil, thyme and lavender that are always some where in my plot. I tend to plant mid april my hardier plants such as the herbs, broccoli and leafy greens and then into may the family of tomato plants.
If you want a more "specific" (i use quotes as even the expects have to guess to a certain extend when it comes to weather and planting) you can look to the almanacs or local gardening predicting sites around now. Currently my sites are saying last frost (which is the big date for gardeners) is going to be April 11th.  So it's time to go into full planning mode.

Now one of the veggie that is always a staple in my garden is Kale. I love kale and have found it is one of the healthiest and hearties plants I can have in my garden. It has always survived the Boston summers, cold snaps in spring and fall and lets not forget having me as a mom. So you know its a hearty little bugger. 
Kale is so great for you. It's a great source of Vitamin A, C and K, not to mention a slew of other minerals. Now if you are new to kale and can't imagine having to eat this queen of greens don't worry you can start small and work the kale into your diet slowly ;)
My favorite summer dish is sauteed kale with bacon, onions and what ever other veggies and or fish I have around with scrambled eggs. It's Paleo, healthy and wicked fast and easy.

Easy Egg Scramble:
3 leaves of kale chopped
1-2 pieces of bacon chopped up
1/4 of a tomato diced
1/2 a carrot thinly sliced
2 eggs 
1 pinch of salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme
splash of unsweetened original almond milk
1/2 tbs of olive or coconut oil (coconut gives everything a slightly sweeter flavor)

Heat up the olive oil in you skillet then add your bacon. Once that gets going but before it is brown add your chopped kale and carrot and let them begin to cook. 
You will notice the kale will become a darker green and the carrots will become a bit softer then add in your tomato.Make sure to periodically move the veggies around so they don't burn.
Now grab your eggs crack them into a bowl and add you splash of almond milk and wisk that around till it is all combined.
* Note: I am a Paleo girl not to mention also very dairy and gluten intolerant so I never use anything containing those ingredients but shift as your body asks.  
Now pour your egg mixture on top and let it cook. Make sure to use your spatula to move the eggs around as over cooking is a problem. 
Once there is no more liquid from the eggs you are ready to go.
So plate up and enjoy and shift what you use around as you find other in-season veggies or items from your garden!
Well that is all for now ya'll. It's lunch time and my stomach is demanding my honey, garlic chicken wings so off to the kitchen!!
<3 ya
Jenn

 Make sure to comment and let me know whats on your mind! I love hearing your thoughts and input :)

No comments:

Post a Comment