Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Kunda-what-e: A beginner's explanation and experience of Kundalini Yoga

Hey Guys check out my post I wrote for Kundalini Yoga Boston and their awesome Blog.
It is the first part of my "A beginner's look at Kundalini Yoga"
Enjoy and go check out KYB for more awesome posts! 

"Kundalini, Is That A Type Of Pasta?"

I love the looks and questions I get when I tell people I do Kundalini Yoga.  Many pretend to know what it is  but have a blank look of confusion, while others right out look like I told them a very complicated word problem and then, admitting defeat, ask what I am even talking about.
Or, some ay “Kunda-what-e ?”, but my favorite question of all time has to be, “Wait, is that a pasta?”.   There are valid points here,  Kundalini does sound Italian and, it is not one of the mainstream yoga practices (net yet, that is!) that we have been seeing popularized in America. In most  yoga classes, you will find practitioners practicing in their bright color outfits, rocking out in 90 degree heat under black light toMadonna (which don’t get me wrong I love to do from time to time). In a Kundalini Yoga class, students and teachers often wear white clothing and have their heads covered. There is music (mantra music) and it is also rocking sometimes!
But how does a beginner/ novice explain to someone what Kundalini Yoga is?
How do you convey something so multifaceted and soul touching?
It is hard and can be very overwhelming, when you feel you barely know any kriyas or mantras and are still trying to figure out how to keep your focus on the tip of your nose with out wanting to fall over.  People don’t have the time or patience to listen to a 30 minute description of the concepts of Kundalini.
Well, in this post, I am just going to touch on just two of the elements that makes Kundalini Yoga stand out:
1)   The practice is still the same over all these years.
All the teachers pull from the same set of kriyas and I find there is something comforting to know that the kriya you are doing hasn’t been tweaked by anyone. There are 100’s of different kriyas taught by Yogi Bhajan that Kundalini Yoga Teachers use in their classes.  That is a lot of kriyas!!! This is what gives the flexibility to choose what aspect of ourselves that the teacher wants to focus the practice on. Not only that but if you would like to practice a kriya at home you can, because the kriyas are all written down. I don’t have to remember an hour-long flow but can look at the exact print out that my teacher saw to remember what I did. And really when you think of it isn’t it amazing to think of how many different people from all over the world have done this exact kriya just like you?
2)   Mantra and meditation are a main part of the practice too. 
Everyone has their own reasons they go to yoga, but for me finding focus and peace is a big deal. I love that my body gets a workout during class but so does my mind and soul! For me, Kundalini Yoga is about that deeper connection with yourself and the universe around you. In Kundalini Yoga, mantra is used often during exercises, awakening dormant energy or bringing one into balance.  I mean, you even begin each class with the mantra ‘Ong Namo, Guru Dev Namo’ – “I bow to the All-That-Is. I bow to the Divine Wisdom within myself.” When we chant this mantra, we tap into the intuition inside each of us, giving our practice a higher purpose and connecting with all the teachers and wisdom that has come before and that is here for us now.  If that isn’t powerful I don’t know what is!
This should get you started and remember you always have a safe space to ask you teachers there thoughts on what makes Kundalini Yoga so special. Kundalini Yoga Boston is amazing for that. Keep up, your practice is more than just a spaghetti!
Share your light, Share your love,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment